People commonly use epoxy to repair broken items or fill in gaps and scratches. However, there are so many products on the market it can be hard to choose. What is the best epoxy for plastic?
The best epoxy for plastic is the Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy. It is simple to use, gives a strong and durable bond, and dries clear. You can reuse the product since the epoxy and hardener are separate within the syringe.
This article will cover what epoxy is, what you should consider before buying epoxy, and why the Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy is the best overall. I will also discuss a few other alternatives you may want to consider for different kinds of projects.
What Is Epoxy?
Epoxy is a thermoset plastic that is a few different industrial chemical compounds. Epoxies have several beneficial characteristics, such as strong adhesion, chemical resistance, and toughness. Due to these reasons, many companies use the substance for industrial purposes.
One of the most popular uses for epoxy is adhesive since it is so strong. Companies use the material to make products such as laminated wood and concrete. Epoxy is also used as an adhesive for glass, wood, concrete, and metal since it is heat and chemical resistant.
However, epoxy is not only for industrial purposes. Many crafters and DIYers use epoxy as adhesives since it can come in different forms, including flexible, rigid, opaque, or translucent.
Finally, you can use epoxy as a coating or a sealant for projects. Since the material is so durable, people use it to create strong, glossy finishes on surfaces such as concrete floors, wood, and other industrial projects.
Related post: Best Clear Coat for Plastic
What To Consider When Buying Epoxy for Plastic
Since epoxy is such a versatile material, there will be something to consider before buying a specific product. Epoxy can come in so many different forms, so you will need to know what you need for the project to find the right one.
I’ll explain the three factors you need to consider below.
What Is the Product Designed For?
You need to be careful when buying epoxy for plastic because there are epoxy products for many different materials such as metal (like aluminum), woodwork, and cement.
When using epoxy for adhesive purposes, there is a thing called ‘working time.’ The product comes in two separate forms that you have to mix before you begin applying. Once you mix the epoxy and hardener, there is only a certain time where you can manipulate the material.
For some epoxy products, the working time is only a few minutes. For others, it can be hours. It all depends on what product you buy, so it is crucial to know what material the product is for.
What Are You Using the Product For?
You need to consider what you are using the product for before choosing one. The two main uses of epoxy for plastic are for adhesive purposes and to fill in gaps, dents, and scratches. If you are using epoxy for a simple repair and adhesive job, you won’t need a lot of working time. However, if you use the product to fill in multiple gaps or scratches, you will need an epoxy with more working time.
Another thing to consider is how large the project is. You might need to find an epoxy with up to 60 minutes of working time to repair a large plastic object such as a car part.
Do You Need a Flexible Adhesive or a Rigid Adhesive?
One last thing you will need to consider is how rigid you want the epoxy to be. Some glues dry very hard, while other glues are more flexible. The kind of glue you buy will depend on the type of project you are tackling. There is also epoxy putty that you can use for some repairs, such as fixing a PVC pipe. Epoxy putty will be one of the most flexible epoxy products out there.
Best Epoxy for Plastic: Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy
- Best Bang For The Buck: PC-Products PC-11 Epoxy Adhesive Paste
- Best Flexible Adhesive: J-B Weld Plastic Weld Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty
- Best Rigid Adhesive: J-B Weld 50133 Plastic Bonder Structural Adhesive Syringe
1. Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy (Best Overall)
The gorilla 2 part epoxy is under $6 and has over 7000 5-star ratings. The product is a 2 part epoxy that comes in a syringe. It has a 5-minute set time, so this will be good for quick plastic repairs. Unlike some other products on the market, this epoxy dries clear, so you won’t have to worry about any odd-looking colors on the plastic you repair.
Not only can you use the gorilla epoxy for repairs, but you can fill gaps as well and use it to even out a surface. If you are looking for a very strong and durable bond, this will be the product for you. The epoxy is also solvent and water-resistant, so you will not have to worry about the glue wearing off.
Even though the product is a 2 part epoxy, it is very user-friendly. The syringe stores the epoxy resin and hardener separately. All you have to do to access the materials is to push the syringe. Both the epoxy and hardener will come out in equal parts. You simply mix the two in a separate container for 20 seconds, and it is ready to go.
Bottom Line: This epoxy resin is affordable, easy to use, and provides a very durable bond. This product is one of the strongest on the market and will work for virtually any plastic repair job. Even if you are new to applying epoxy adhesives, the package’s instructions will be easy to follow. Do not use this product for big projects, though, since it only has a 5 minute working time.
- Affordable. Since this glue is so strong, you will not need to use a lot of glue. For around $5, you can buy one syringe and two for under $10.
- Easy to use. Even beginners can use this product since all you have to do is push the mixture out and mix it.
- You can reuse the product. A great thing about this epoxy is that you can reuse it. Since the epoxy resin and hardener are stored separately in the syringe, you can put the cap back on and use it again whenever you need it.
- It only has 5 minutes of working time. Something that you should bear in mind about that epoxy is that it only has 5 minutes of working time. This time will be good enough for small repair jobs, but it might be difficult to work with if you are a beginner or doing more of an intricate job.
- Not good for larger projects. Due to the short working time and a small amount of adhesive in the package, this product will not be best for larger projects.
|Compatible Materials||Wood, Ceramic, Glass, Metal, Plastic|
|Full Cure Time||24 hours|
|Working Time||5 minutes|
2. PC-Products PC-11 Epoxy Adhesive Paste (Best Bang for the Buck)
This product is an adhesive epoxy paste. You can buy one pound of paste for under $15, which is why this is a great bargain. The product comes in two separate cans, one with the epoxy resin and one with the hardener.
If you are looking for a more hardy and tough adhesive, this will be a great choice. The glue can bond in wet, dry, and underwater environments. You can also use glue on both outdoor and indoor projects. Furthermore, this adhesive can resist acids, gasoline, oils, detergents, and saltwater.
One thing to note about this is that it dries as an off-white solid color, so you may have to paint the epoxy if you don’t want it to be noticeable.
Another great thing about this kind of epoxy is that it won’t drip, so that you can use it on overhead projects without worry. Finally, you will be getting a higher working time with the PC adhesive paste. You can apply and work with the product for up to 40 minutes, making it great for larger and more difficult projects.
Bottom Line: If you are looking for a more flexible epoxy for plastic projects, I highly recommend this product. For around $10, you will get one pound of epoxy putty, which is one of the best deals you will find. The putty is easy to work with; all you have to do is mix equal parts of the epoxy and hardener and start applying.
- Good deal. The highlight of this product is that you get a lot of epoxy putty for a low price.
- You can use this for overhead or vertical projects. Since this putty is thick, you will not have to worry about it dripping. This way, you can use it for vertical or overhead projects.
- Reusable. Since there is one pound worth of epoxy and the containers have twist-on lids, you can easily reuse this product.
- You have 30-40 minutes of working time. A great thing about this putty is that you have over 30 minutes to apply it, making it desirable for beginners and larger projects.
- Dries as an off-white color. One downside of this product is that it does not dry clear but an off-white color. If you do not want the dried putty to be noticeable, you will have to paint over the putty, which will be a bit more time-consuming than translucent epoxies.
- Can take up to 15 hours to cure. The epoxy putty will take 8-15 hours to cure, meaning it won’t be at full strength until about 15 hours. You will not be able to handle the object you are repairing until it has cured fully.
3. J-B Weld 8237 PlasticWeld Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty (Best Flexible Adhesive)
This plastic repair epoxy putty is around $12 and has over 1600 5-star reviews. The product is a 2-part putty stick that works well with plastic by repairing broken parts, filling in dents, and rebuilding surfaces.
Unlike other products mentioned, you will have to knead together the two parts, the epoxy and hardener, with your hands. You will then have around 25 minutes to apply and work with the product. It will also cure in three hours, so you can handle the project shortly after using the putty.
The J-B weld plastic repair putty will work well with flexible plastics since it does not dry rock hard; it holds a bit of plasticity even when it dries. You can also sand it down and paint it over it. Something to keep in mind about the glue is that it dries as an off-white color.
Bottom Line: This epoxy putty is very workable and will be your best option if you repair a flexible plastic. The glue also has one of the quickest curing times. If you are a beginner, I highly recommend this since you have more control over the application process.
- Has a longer working time. A great thing about this product is that it has a 25 minute working time. You can easily use this glue for intricate projects that require more attention to detail.
- Will dry with a bit of flexibility. Unlike many other epoxy glues on the market, this putty still holds a bit of flexibility when it dries. You will be able to use this for more flexible plastic repair jobs.
- Will cure in three hours. You will not have to wait up to 24 hours for this putty to cure. It will be as strong as ever in only three hours.
- Dries as an off-white color. You may have to paint over this putty since it dries as an off-white color and will be noticeable.
- Requires a bit more work than other epoxies. Unlike other epoxy glues that come in easy-to-use syringes, you have to knead the materials together for this one.
- Will be hard to reuse. Since the putty comes as one stick, it may be hard to reuse it after mixing a bit of the stick. The easiest way to use this will be all at once.
4. J-B Weld 50133 Plastic Bonder Structural Adhesive Syringe (Best Rigid Adhesive)
This 2-part epoxy plastic bonder comes in a syringe and provides one of the strongest bonds you will need for repairs. The J-B weld structural adhesive is around $5 and has over 800 5-star reviews. The glue is quick setting so that you can use it as an adhesive and gap filler.
You will have 15 minutes to work with the plastic bonder. The curing time is much longer, around 30 hours. The product is user-friendly and comes with a syringe, a mixing tray, and a stir stick. All you have to do is push out the desired amount and mix it in the tray. You can easily reuse it after.
The epoxy glue will cure to a hard, permanent bond and will last long. An important thing to mention about this glue is that it will dry in a tan color. If you are using the product on a darker colored plastic, you will not notice it as much as you would with white epoxy glue.
Bottom Line: This will give you one of the strongest bonds on the market. If you need a heavy-duty, hard drying adhesive, I highly recommend this. If you care about cosmetic aspects, the product will work best on dark to medium colored plastics since it dries as a tan color.
- Has 15 minutes of working time. This glue has around 15 minutes of working time, which is better than many other similar products with 5 minutes of working time.
- Easy to use. There is not a lot you have to do to use the product. After pushing the desired amount out into the mixing tray, you will mix it, and then it is ready to use.
- Reusable. A great thing about the syringe is that you can reuse it. After you finish one project, you can put the cap back on and store the epoxy until later.
- Takes 30 hours to cure. If you need to use whatever you are fixing right away, this won’t be the best product for you. You will have to wait 30 hours to handle the plastic project.
- Dries as a tan color. This feature may not be a con to some people depending on the plastic’s color. Still, it will be noticeable on many plastics. You might need to paint the plastic once the epoxy has cured.
The Gorilla 2-Part Epoxy is the overall best choice for epoxy for plastics. It’s affordable, easy to use, well-rated, and durable. It’s the best choice for a quick plastic repair.
The only instances in which I wouldn’t recommend it are if…
- You’re working on a larger project. Go with the PC-Products PC-11 Epoxy Adhesive Paste.
- You’re working with flexible plastic. The J-B Weld Plastic Weld Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty will work best.
- You need more working time and a strong bond. Go with the J-B Weld 50133 Plastic Bonder Structural Adhesive Syringe.